Employee Training And Development In Nigerian Organisations Part Two
by Joy Enadeghe
Relevance of training
Employee training and development is a key ingredient in performance improvement. However, the first step in designing a training program is identifying the training needs that are based on what is needed to achieve the organization’s goals and objectives. Trainings should be planned, deliberate and aimed at achieving the learning necessary for improved job performance. Key steps include:
1. Identifying training needs
2. Defining the learning required in terms of what skills and knowledge needs to be learnt and what attitudes should be changed
3. Defining the objectives of the training
4. Planning the training programs to meet the needs and objectives by using the right combination of training techniques and
5. Evaluating the training and provide coaching where needed.
A targeted training and development program focused on strategic skills can enhance profits significantly. The Inability of organizations to identify training needs is one of the main reasons organizations loose sights of its objectives in training practice. Whenever there is a gap between what the employee is doing and what the employee should do, there is a training need. This training need can be identified by the weaknesses noted in the employee performance appraisal.
The management of an organization is not solely responsible for training, employees should also be responsible. They ought to learn to take their careers in to their hands; research, train and develop themselves. Sadly, not many people are willing to do that. They believe the organization should be responsible for their development and this decision keeps them obsolete.
Nigerian organizations should create a conducive environment for training to flourish so that employees at all levels can be persuaded to have interest in training. The learning environment should be such that motivates the employees.
Nigerian organizations should also invest more in training and development as it appreciates in value over time. Training should also be based on the needs of the organization. It should benefit the employee in terms of performance and knowledge that will in turn affect the organization.
The Chartered Institute for Personnel Development Nigeria, the Centre for Management Development and the Industrial Training Fund some of the training institutions in Nigeria and should be reinvigorated to bring about effective training and development in Nigerian Organizations.
Contact the Author
- Training & Development – performance of individuals and groups in organizational settings (malinavalon.wordpress.com)
- IS IT WORTH IT TO TRAIN EMPLOYEES? by Serah Wangethi (uniglobenorthlinetravel.wordpress.com)